The Government of Japan through the Japan Official Development Assistance (ODA) has provided grants to this Ministry to finance the following:-
• the construction of the Albion Fisheries Research Centre in 1982;
• the construction of the Trou Fanfaron Fishing Port in 1985;
• the construction of the Marine Shrimp Culture Experimental Station in 1987;
• the extension of the Trou Fanfaron Fishing Port in 1991;
• the construction of the Marine Conservation Centre in 1995.
The Government of Japan has also provided Technical Assistance (provision of experts in aquaculture) and training courses in fisheries and aquaculture, through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
Besides, the Overseas Fisheries Co-operation Foundation (OFCF) of Japan also implemented an outer-lagoon fisheries development project from 1991 to 1994 (providing one research coastal vessel, two fishing boats and three experts).
In December 1995, five experts from Japan under the "Coastal Fisheries Resources and Environment Conservation Project" were attached to the Albion Fisheries Research Centre for the implementation of the following projects under the project type co-operation for a period of five years:
• Coastal Ecosystem Research;
• Coastal Environment Monitoring;
• Aquaculture Resource Propagation.
In 2002, the Government of Japan agreed to finance the construction of a Fisheries Training and Extension Centre and associated facilities at Pointe Aux Sables.
Building and civil works started in March 2003 and The Fisheries Training and Extension Centre is now operational since October 2004.
Japan has contributed to a large extent to the development of fisheries (fishing port facilities) and advancement of fisheries and aquaculture research (research infrastructure and technical assistance) in Mauritius.