The Laboratories Division is involved in long-term monitoring of coastal water quality in terms of physico-chemical and microbiological parameters. The division is also involved in the long term monitoring of harmful marine microalgae at established sites, detection of ciguatoxin in fish and conducting awareness campaigns on toxic fish present in Mauritian waters. The division comprises three laboratories, namely the Marine Chemistry, Marine Microbiology and Fish Toxicity laboratories.
The division embarked in the process of accreditation of its laboratories to MS ISO/IEC 17025 Standard and a laboratory quality management system has been implemented since 2012. The Marine Chemistry Laboratory has been accredited for two test parameters since August 2015 by the Mauritius Accreditation Services (MAURITAS). The Accreditation certificate can be acceded at http://www.mauritas.org/files/T025.pdf. Extension of the scope of accreditation to other test parameters is underway.
(i) Monitor coastal water quality to ensure compliance with the Guidelines for coastal water quality (1999) for categories Conservation, Recreation, Fisheries and Industrial.
(ii) Safeguard public from ciguatera fish poisoning.
(iii) Management of harmful algal blooms.
(iv) Accreditation of the laboratories to demonstrate technical competency.
· To monitor coastal water quality in terms of physico-chemical parameters;
· To monitor levels of coliform bacteria at public beaches;
· To monitor seawater quality at sensitive habitats such marine parks, sewage outfalls and coastal development sites;
· To monitor density of harmful marine microalgae;
· To detect ciguatoxin in fish; and
· To investigate cases of marine pollution, fish mortality and harmful algal bloom.
· Long term monitoring of coastal water quality in terms of physico-chemical parameters at established sites to study the trends in water quality characteristics;
· Long term monitoring of coliform bacteria at public beaches;
· Conduct test on fish samples to detect presence of ciguatoxin;
· Screen fish deemed to cause ciguatera fish poisoning;
· Long term monitoring of harmful marine microalgae in the lagoon at established sites;
· Investigate cases of marine pollution, fish mortality and algal blooms;
· Implement laboratory quality management system according to MS ISO/IEC 17025 Standards.
Physico-chemical parameters monitored
· sea surface temperature,
· Dissolved oxygen,
· Chemical Oxygen Demand,
· Trace metals.
Microbiological parameters monitored
· Total coliform
· Faecal coliform
Divisional Scientific Officer
Albion Fisheries Research Centre
Tel.: +(230) 238 4100
+(230) 238 4829
+(230) 238 4744
Fax: +(230) 238 4184